Nobody loves a Debbie Downer (well maybe some do), but not me. I’m not one who basks in the negativity of others — tell me more, tell me more. In fact, it makes me quite depressed. OK even more depressed than this depression sometimes makes me.
Just imagine my contempt then, when I realized that I was, in fact, becoming THE Debbie Downer. Ugh. No wonder I feel as if I haven’t taken any depression meds in a month. So, in an attempt to shed some positivity back into this blog I decided to reinstitute a little of my gratitude writing (for those who are Renaissance Mom lifers, you know I used to post daily/weekly gratitude posts on Facebook).
I’ve chosen to write about 7 Things I’m Grateful for Today on my sort-of birthday. I’m a Leap Year baby so on non-Leap Years, I tend to just celebrate for a week to make sure I don’t miss it due to the fact that I have no idea where that quarter of a day is hiding. Anyway … here goes.
Grateful Thought No. 1: I’m utterly, totally and completely grateful for antidepressants — Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, pick your poison. My current drug of choice is Vybrid and without it, just imagine the negativity that would ensue on the pages of this blog. Yikes.
Grateful Thought No. 2: I’m grateful for the fact that I have a vocation that allows me to work in my pajamas, drink copious amounts of freshly-ground coffee with vanilla Coffemate throughout the day and sometimes not even shower for a day or two.
- Grateful Thought No. 2 1/2: In that vein I’m also grateful, that my friends and family members are kind enough to hang with this oft-times greasy, stinky mess of a woman.
- Grateful Thought No. 2 3/4: I’m grateful for my inspirational “the universe knows” coffee mugs from which I drink said coffee, with messages such as “follow your heart”; “believe in yourself”; and “evolve and grow.”
Grateful Thought No. 3: I’m grateful for the 15 extra pounds I have put on in the last year that keeps me oh so warm in the winter and has caused me to adopt an entirely elastic wasteband-type of wardrobe — at least I’m always warm and comfy.
- Grateful Thought No. 3 1/2: I’m grateful that extra weight is only 15 pounds and not 50.
Grateful Though No.4: I’m grateful for the gross over-spending on our credit cards this year, for without it I would not have earned 6 roundtrip tickets to Florida this year. (I have cashed in the first to spend the next week in Florida with my parents and bestest southern girlfriend, L … “I’m leaving on a jetplane, not sure if I’m coming back again … ”
Grateful Thought No. 5: I’m grateful we lost our camera last spring because it has resulted in even fewer photos of myself, and with these extra pound I’m not feeling too bad about that.
Grateful Thought No. 6: I’m grateful for this blog, that allows me to share secret details of my family (that I love dearly, most of the time, when I’m not being negative, or stressed or thinking of running away) and no one knows who I am referring to because I use code names like The Grinch, Cindy Lou, Things 1-3, Dora and Curious George.
- Grateful Thought No. 6 1/2: I’m grateful that I’m thinking more positively this morning, because was I not, I would realize that because I post real photos along with my posts, everyone knows exactly who I am writing about and the code names don’t mean shit, except to me who giggles every time I write The Grinch.
Grateful Thought No. 7: I’m grateful for Thing 2′s homemade pop-up birthday card this morning that informed me that 41 was the new 31, because that makes me feel a whole lot better about turning 41.
* Shit, this wasn’t very positive at all … was it? But, you’re smiling now aren’t you? Maybe even laughed out loud at the pathetic plight of this Renaissance Mom? So that has to earn me some positive points. Right?
P.S. I’m also grateful for this birthday card that The Grinch (hee hee hee) gave me this morning because he thought I needed a reason to laugh out loud. He was right, and it definitely worked, but it doesn’t get a Grateful Thought No. because then I would have more gratefuls than seven and seven IS my lucky number.