Ahh! I’m back — rested, relaxed, and full of creative energy.
I decided that since I’m the boss of this site, I would take a few days off, OK a week, to I spend a little time with my VERY PREGNANT younger sister who was visiting for a few days with her family, before my new baby nephew (who is scheduled to arrive via C-section on July 25) consumes her every waking moment. I also spent some time lavishing my niece Kylee with some Aunt Kellers attention, and sipping margaritas lakeside with my brother-in-law.
The break was a very welcome one and gave me some time to work on my new site berkshirefamilyfocus.com (for you Berkshirites and Berkshire vacationing families out there), and to also chill out and bond with my family. My sister and I also got to enjoy a Momnesia-free night, which I have been trying to do more often. For those of you who don’t know what Momnesia is, look back at some of my Momnesia Week Posts with guest blogger, author, and ”Momnesia” expert extraordinaire, Lori Verni-Fogarsi.
So what have I been up to since I last checked in? Well … LOTS :
- As I mentioned above, I have started up a new site titled Berkshire Family Focus which highlights family-friendly activities in the Berkshires. Writing for families and exposing them to all that the area has to offer (something I didn’t realize growing up here but that I appreciate so much more now as a parent) has been a growing passion of mine and I finally decided to take the plunge and delve into creating a top-of-the-line site for local and visiting families. Feel free to check it out, join our email list, and give me your feedback.
- Plays, plays and more plays! As I’ve said before, I love theater — all kinds of theater and I have been thoroughly indulging myself in area theater as of late. Stay tuned this week for my family-friendly review of Barrington Stage Company’s “Fiddler on the Roof” over on Berkshire Family Focus in the next day or so, and I will write here about my Momnesia-free night out with my sister last Saturday to see BSC’s world premiere of Mark St. Germain’s “Dr. Ruth All the Way!” Both shows were amazing, the former due to the Broadway-worthy performers, sets, costumes and performance by Brad Oscar as the lead character, Tevye; the latter most likely because my sister and I were sitting right behind Dr. Ruth herself and her entire family — children, grandchildren, in-laws, etc. — and I had more fun watching their reactions at times than the stellar performance of Debra Jo Rupp (from “That 70s Show”), who was playing Dr. Ruth on the stage.
- On July 2, I had the privilege of attending the James Taylor/Taylor Swift concert at Tanglewood in Lenox with my immediate family and a group of wonderful friends and their children. Between the food, the wine, the company, and the smooth crooning tunes from Taylor and Taylor, it was definitely a night to remember. We weren’t close enough to see the pair, but we definitely could hear them as their duet of Swift’s “Ours” spilled out onto the Tanglewood lawn and enveloped us in a musical sanctuary of sound. An absolutely FANTASTIC evening. http://youtu.be/X41Z9wlsN6w
- These last couple of weeks I have become keenly adept at chauffering my daughter and her friend on waterskis around the lake. They have decided they want to become slalom waterskiers and beg to be taken out several times a day to practice. Although a little tiring (the boat driving I mean) they are very fun to watch.
5. Much to my husbands joy and dismay, I have been consumed with sex! Yup, you heard me right — SEX! It began with reading a book that I was given to review by author Dilsa Saunders Bailey, the first in her Sperling Chronicle series, “Dreams Thrown Away.” (Stay tuned for a review of that in the near future.) Following that book I dove right into “Fifty Shades of Grey” by EL James. And if anyone has been perusing the blogosphere, local news, Publishers Weekly, etc. this summer, then surely they have heard about this sensual, hard-to-put-down novel that is creating a sexual awakening among millions of women around the world besides just me! Can you say hot, hot, HOT!!! (Thanks for introducing me to this one mom!)
6. Lastly, I have been taking time to “smell the flowers” so to speak. Bonding with my kids, connecting with friends, exploring all that the Berkshires has to offer, and re-igniting the fire in my relationship with my husband. The weather isn’t the only thing heating up at the McIlquhams this summer!